[NMT_Caving] Galena King Mine Trip on April 7th

Dustin Graham dustin.graham at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 00:52:05 UTC 2018

Cavers,

Are you bored of muddy old caves thousands of years out-of-date? Has seeing
the same astounding natural formations in every cave got you down? Well
turn that frown upside down, because we have the trip for you: the Club
will be touring the Galena King Mine on Saturday, April 7th!

"Wow, that's totally like a month away," I hear you say. "Why are they
bringing it up now?" Well you see, dear rhetorical device, access to the
mine goes through Kirtland Air Force Base, and everyone going on the trip
needs to be cleared to cross it ahead of time.

In order to get cleared, each of us must provide the following information
to trip liaison Matt Thompson:

* Full name
* Date of birth
* Last four digits of SSN (not a citizen? Home country + visa or green card
no. here)

We are going to collate this information on one set of paper, and hand it
off to other trip leader Scott Christenson, who lives in, and will take it
back to, Albuquerque for us.

Trip contact Dustin Graham, who never talks about himself in third person,
is keeping the list secure in his office this week. Just stop by Gold W203
(at ITC), between 9 and 5 o'clock (excluding lunch) to sign up! If you are
interested, but not quite sure yet, sign up anyway; you could bail, but we
cannot add you later.

Still here? Great! we're almost done. The mine also has a liability waiver
form that must be filled out. Please find it attached to this message.
Dustin will take these if you like, or they can be brought that morning
(they are not needed before-hand).

There, the paperwork is over. We will be meeting that Saturday morning at
8:30 in front of MSEC, and head up. Then we will be at the mine until it is
supper time, most likely eating in Albuquerque before coming back. Parking
is apparently rather limited, so please let us know if you have a
high-clearance vehicle and/or are willing to drive.

To whet your appetite, see the mine's website (http://www.galenaking.com)
for photographs and background information. Once we get off the base to the
mine, photography is unrestricted. And while collecting from the mine is
verboten, if we behave ourselves, we may be allowed small mineral samples
from a specific tailings dump before leaving.

This trip will be non-technical, and as always, the Club will provide
caving gear. That's it, hope to see you there!